Southeast Asia Tour 2015
Yangon | Bagan | Myanmar
30 Nov 2015 | Mon
Day 12 of 46
Flight | Yangon International Airport to Bagan Nyaung-U Airport
Yangon International Airport
Tour Mandalay handled all of our travel arrangements, which also included domestic flights (a total of 3 flights). After our first night in Yangon, it was time to move on to Bagan. Our first domestic flight in Myanmar (with the carrier Asian Wings Airways) went very well (smoothly and without issue).
Our plane was an ATR 72-500 (twin-engine turboprop, short-haul, regional airliner) and holds around 70 people.
Bagan Nyaung-U Airport
We arrived at Bagan Nyaung-U Airport around 8:00 am. After getting our bags, we found our Bagan tour guide and driver (waiting just outside the airport).
Note About Our Arrival to Bagan Nyaung-U Airport:
- One of the first things we had to get used to when arriving or departing at Myanmar’s domestic airports – having strangers come up and grab (or try to) the bags out of our hands. What happens is you have several individuals who hang around the outside of the airport that are trying to make money by carrying (or pulling) your luggage into the terminal (or to the outside of the terminal). When done, they are looking for a tip. When you first arrive (or depart) and are thrown in the middle of a chaotic airport (people moving around in all directions) these guys swoop in to “somewhat” take advantage of you. At the same time, we found that they meant well and (sometimes) it was beneficial to have their help.
- Myanmar Airport operations are very efficient:
- Everything is still done with human power, such as unloading your bags onto a large cart that is drawn into the airport by various airport personnel.
- Everyone waits for their plane in one large open room. This room may have 3 to 5 gates. When your plane is ready to board, they will call your flight number along with walking around with a handheld board.
- Security is very lenient – they do somewhat scan your bags, but you do not have to take anything out (such as laptops, etc.).