– Southeast Asia Tour 2015 –
> Luang Prabang | Laos <
08 Dec 2015 | Tue
Day 21 of 47
> Downtown Luang Prabang | Morning Market <
– Mount Phou Si Luang Prabang
– Walkabout Around Luang Prabang
– Lunch at Tamarind Restaurant
– Downtown Luang Prabang –
Luang Prabang is an ancient city located in the northern province of Laos. Given its history of once being the capital of Laos and its blend of French Indochinese architecture with Theravada Buddhist temples, this city has an atmosphere, unlike any other destination in Laos.
Back in 1995 when it was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the town was described as:
“an outstanding example of the fusion of traditional architecture and Lao urban structures with those built by the European colonial authorities in the 19th and 20th centuries. Its unique, remarkably well-preserved townscape illustrates a key stage in the blending of these two distinct cultural traditions.”
Here is a list of the things that we enjoyed about this town:
- The “Vibe” – this town has a unique atmosphere unlike any place we have visited. This place is full of trendy restaurants, cafes, markets (day & night) and stores & shops that add to this “cool vibe”!
- Climate – it’s much cooler here and with no humidity
- Everything is within walking distance – you do not need a car or transportation to enjoy everything it has to offer
- Safe – we felt safe walking around town no more the time of day
- Mekong River – its was nice having views overlooking the Mekong River from our hotel
- Pace – very cool and laid back pace here
As you can tell, we really enjoyed it here. It’s a cool destination where you can just kick back and enjoy your vacation!
– Morning Market Luang Prabang –
After venturing through downtown Luang Prabang, we came across the downtown morning market, which offered a large variety of fruits, vegetables, flowers, grilled meats, street food, local crafts, and textiles.