Southeast Asia Tour 2015
Luang Prabang | Laos
08 Dec 2015 | Tue
Day 20 of 46
Downtown Luang Prabang | Morning Market
Luang Prabang is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in northern Laos. It is an ancient city, believed to have been founded in the 8th century by King Fa Ngum. Luang Prabang has been a major center for Buddhism and many of its Buddhist temples still exist today. The city boasts some of the most spectacular architecture in Laos and serves as a great example of traditional Lao culture.
The city is known for its peaceful atmosphere and stunning natural beauty, making it a popular destination for tourists from around the world. The Mekong River runs through the middle of town, giving visitors plenty of opportunities to explore on boat trips or kayak adventures. The night market offers something for everyone, with an array of delicious street food and handmade goods from local artisans.
Back in 1995 when it was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the town was described as:
“an outstanding example of the fusion of traditional architecture and Lao urban structures with those built by the European colonial authorities in the 19th and 20th centuries. Its unique, remarkably well-preserved townscape illustrates a key stage in the blending of these two distinct cultural traditions.”
Here is a list of the things that we enjoyed about this town:
- The “Vibe” – the town has a unique atmosphere, unlike any place we have visited. This place is full of trendy restaurants, cafés, markets (day & night), and stores & shops that add to this “cool vibe”!
- Climate – it’s much cooler here and with no humidity
- Everything is within walking distance – you do not need a car or transportation to enjoy everything it has to offer
- Safe – we felt safe walking around town, no more the time of day
- Mekong River – it was nice having views overlooking the Mekong River from our hotel
- Pace – very cool and laid-back pace here
As you can tell, we really enjoyed it here. It’s a cool destination where you can just kick back and enjoy your vacation!
Morning Market Luang Prabang
The morning market in Luang Prabang, Laos is an experience like no other. Located in the heart of the ancient city, the market is a bustling hive of activity and a great way to soak up the local culture.
Every morning, locals come together to sell their homemade goods, fresh produce, flowers, street food, and handicrafts to eager shoppers. The smells of delicious food, fragrant flowers and spices fill the air while merchants call out their wares.