11 June 2022
Sorry again for the delay in posting updates – We’ve had a lot going on. We are still settling into our new condo. Like most condos in Thailand, it came furnished but we still needed to buy a few things.
There was a bit of a delay getting our internet setup but we are happy to report it’s up and running FAST! It’s the fastest internet we’ve ever had! (500Mbps Down & Up!). The cost is only around $20 per month! Normally it would only be $17 but we had to add $3 for a high floor booster.
I was able to complete the second phase of my Retirement Visa (2 of 3). I now wait 2.5 months to finish the process with a 12-month extension (and re-entry permit).
With our last condo, it was located just outside the Bangkok Province (in Samut Prakan Province) so I had to use the immigration office in Samut Prakan. This time around we are living in Bangkok so I must use the main immigration office in Bangkok (which is huge). But so far so good, everything has gone very smoothly.
I’m also in the middle of upgrading my computer – so after I have everything up and running I will be able to post updates covering:
- Flights to Thailand …in Qatar Airways Business Class! We were given the option of a paid upgrade (still a bit pricey but much cheaper than the normal cost).
- Our 37th Floor Condo overlooking the Chao Phraya River
- Cover what it’s like to live in a condo that is connected to a large luxury mall – IconSiam (5 min walk from our condo).
- IconSiam’s amazing SOOKSIAM Thai Food Court (which is one of 7 Dining Zones in IconSiam (SOOKSIAM, The Veranda, Siam Takashimaya Rose Dining, ICON Eats, ICON Dining Rooms, Alangkarn Zone, Tasana Nakorn Terrace)
- SIAM TAKASHIMAYA – Thailand’s first and only branch of this iconic Japanese department store (operating in Japan for over 180 years). Seven floors of SIAM TAKASHIMAYA shopping along with sushi and sashimi menus from Nakajima Suisan, the renowned sushi & sashimi retailer in Japan and East & South East Asia, that selects seafood directly from Japan and the worldwide fish market. For sushi & sashimi lovers (which we are), this place is amazing (and surprisingly affordable)!
- Plus much more!
Latest Update | 24 June 2022
Hello to all. Our settling-in process still continues (and has been going well).
Over the next few months, we plan to venture out and explore Bangkok. We also are looking to exercise more and get in better shape.
Along the way we’ll probably take a few short trips within Thailand (maybe down south to some of the beach resort areas or maybe to nearby destinations like the historic city of Ayutthaya (only 1.5 hours from Bangkok).
Kanchana will have family visiting in late December (through January 2023). On our last visit together we traveled to southern Thailand (early 2020 – right when COVID was starting). This time around, we plan to focus on the North East region of Thailand (also known as Issan). I’ll be covering more about this later.
Currently its the rainy season… We love watching thunderstorms like this (below) approach the city…